Current:Home > InvestVolunteer fire department sees $220,000 raised for ambulances disappear in cyber crime -Capitatum
Volunteer fire department sees $220,000 raised for ambulances disappear in cyber crime
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 07:19:30
Around $220,000 was stolen from a Maryland volunteer fire department in a cyber-attack last month, according to a report put out by the Rockville station.
The money was being held for the purchase of two new ambulances the department desperately needs, the release states. It was taken by criminals impersonating a vendor working with the station to secure the new vehicles.
A bad actor intercepted the wire transfer email thread to slightly change the bank routing number to send the transfer to London.
“If you looked at it and followed the string, you’d have to look very, very closely to see that one letter was changed in the email string," Eric Bernard, the president of the Rockville Volunteer Fire Department said in an interview with WJLA.
"The email string continued for a while. We made the wire and five days went by and our vendor said 'Hey you gonna finish that wire we were on the phone (about),'” Bernard said.
Half of the money has since been recovered
Half the department's money has been recovered, according to the news release from the station.
The Montgomery County Police Department was contacted as soon as the Rockville Volunteer Fire Department caught on to what was going on. The United States Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation were brought in on the incident as well.
More than 80% of what the RVFD deals with is Emergency Medical Services, WJLA reported.
Last year the RVFD had "a total of 14,662 unit responses making Rockville Volunteers some of the most active firefighters, EMTs, and paramedics in the nation," according to the release.
"Thanks to decades of generosity from the community RVFD serves, we remain in a strong financial position to both complete this purchase and to continue operations as normal," The RVFD reported.
Those interested in helping replenish the department's funds can visit www.rvfd.org/donate. A GoFundMe is being set up and will be live soon.
veryGood! (67323)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Ranking
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Trump's 'stop
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Recommendation
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back